Sunday, April 4, 2010

Finally.

I finally did it. I have returned to the blogging world. If you are reading this then either I told you about it or you stumbled onto it and you were really, really bored. Hopefully, I can get you to stay. This blog is an idea my wife had to keep me writing. She feels I have a gift and wants me to keep it fresh. That and this way I will keep my hands on the keyboard and off of her butt. :) My wife is my biggest fan and like most celebrities do, I sometimes take her for granted. I don't mean to but I am not always the sharpest knife in the drawer and can trip over pretty much anything. I dedicate this to her. I want to succeed because she deserves a partner who is an enhancement and not a burden.

The purpose of this blog is two-fold. First, a daily (hopefully) account of my take on the sports world. Second, my attempt to break into the world of sports. I would like to work on air in sports radio. I have done some and think I am pretty good at it. Ok, "some" is a bit strong. I read the sports news on KSYM (the radio station at SAC) back in the day and I have done 2 webcast roundtables. I did win a contest to be "Peter for a day" on the Ticket 760 in San Antonio. I won the opportunity to be a cohost on their morning show. It was a blast and I was good.

I had tons of support for that contest and I owe my friends another big thank you for their help. I was hoping to make that a springboard to bigger and better things but alas, nothing. Residing in Michigan, one knows that our economy blows goats and when I approached the program director of The Game 730 (our sports station) I was told that "we don't have the budget for it but I will listen and let you know" well, I didn't hear back for a while so I emailed again to follow up. When I did, the email addy bounced and have not been able to get the new one. I also didn't try as hard as maybe I should have, so some of the blame falls on my shoulders.

Here is my plan...I will be contacting Tim Nestor somehow...either email, snail mail, phone, carrier pigeon whatever. I might even do a sit in on his front door at his station. :) I will keep you posted here.

For today's sports take...March Madness culminates in tomorrow night's championship game. I really hope Butler wins. They are a great story and I can't stand Duke. Smug bastards. (Hey...never said this was a family show!) There is talk about expanding the current 65 team tournament up to 96. That would really...REALLY...suck! Adding that focaccta "play in game" (the NCAA calls it the Opening Round....I call it crap) was bad enough but 96 teams? The NCAA tournament is one of the special things in sports so why mess with it? Its as bad as having 36 bowl games. You will water down the field and that madness of having David slay Goliath will decrease because of the addition of first round sacrificial lambs who got hot at the right time and won their conference tourney despite having a 17-15 record. Hell, why stop at 96? Let all 344 D-I schools in and give everyone a participation trophy like the 6 year olds get in youth soccer? You know, those leagues where we are so worried about little Johnny's feelings that we don't keep score? (another rant for another time) I am all for progress and while I like tradition, I don't think we need to keep things solely because of it but sometimes its ok to leave things as they are because they work.

Ok, off the soap box for now...hope you enjoyed it and hope to see you again.

Peace.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Mike! You'll make this dream come true, I know it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike

    I agree with you about keeping the NCAA tournament at 65! I think that most sports folks agree with this. If they want to design a tournament why not D-1A Football tournament! Keep up the great work and good luck!! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete